Jack is an IP solicitor in EIP's litigation team and is experienced with patent litigation before the High Court and Court of Appeal as well as IPEC. He also has experience with non-technical and licensing litigation. Jack is currently involved in patent disputes involving telecommunications and data processing technologies, as well as other matters concerning biomedical and diagnostics devices. Throughout his work on these cases, Jack has been responsible for preparing costs evidence, drafting pleadings and managing expert witnesses.
Jack also has non-contentious experience, having previously worked on secondment at a multinational financial services and payment technology client, where his work focused on various types of agreements, including services agreements, sponsorships, promotions and non-disclosure agreements, as part of the corporate and commercial legal team. Jack was also involved with reviewing corporate communications and assessing potential liability. During this time he worked in tandem with data protection practitioners and liaised with clients in the business on commercial considerations.
Jack has a BA in Philosophy from the University of Southampton. He joined EIP having completed the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course, which he passed with distinction at BPP Law School. Before studying law, he spent two years working as an English teacher in Hong Kong.
Jack is a member of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) and regularly attends the meetings of the ETSI IPR Group.
- Part of the team which successfully asserted patents on behalf of Optis as part of their litigation against Apple, including prevailing at the Court of Appeal in Technical Trial D.
- Part of the team which successfully rebutted an “Estoppel Defence” raised by Apple in litigation with Optis, relating to licensing disclosures to ETSI by predecessors-in-title.
- Preparing High Court claims, including pleadings and evidence gathering, on behalf of major telecommunications client.
- Reviewing patent portfolio and potential infringement targets and considering responses to EPO interventions on behalf of major investment client in the biomedical area.
- Working on costs settlement between Unwired Planet and Huawei before the Supreme Court in case dating back to 2014.
- Acting for Teleste in successfully defending a claim for patent infringement by Technetix BV in the United Kingdom Patents Court in the field of cable TV equipment. (link)
- Acted for Unwired Planet in successful Court of Appeal proceedings against Huawei for standard essential patent and FRAND litigation. (link)
- June 2023
EIP Updates, No Leg to Stand On: Claimant left out of pocket as hopeless case fails to establish design for cargo trousers is original or infringed (link)
- 28 November 2019
Intellectual Property Magazine, A new direction (link)
- November 2018
Quoted in Lawyer Monthly, #Copyrightdirective And The #Deathofmemes (link)
Education and qualifications
2019 — 2020
Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Oxford
January 2016 — September 2016
Legal Practice Course, BPP Holborn
January 2015 — September 2015
Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP Waterloo
2009 — 2012
BA in Philosophy, University of Southampton
- 2022 — present
Senior Associate, EIP
- 2018 — 2022
- 2016 — 2018
Trainee Solicitor , EIP
- French (Fluent)
- Cantonese (Basic)
- Mandarin (Basic)